As a senior lecturer and Principal orthopaedic surgeon at the Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital, Dr Read trained an entire generation of orthopaedic surgeons in the skills of arthrosplasty and arthroscopic surgery.
When not working Dr Read does not sit idle and is continuously adding to his impressive collection of published medical papers. These include:
- A reliable method of local anaesthesia for operative and diagnostic arthroscopy of the knee – G O Read
- The relationship between finger and wrist deformities in rheumatoid arthritis – G O Read, L Solomon and S Biddulph – published in the Annals of Rheumatology – August 1984.
- A chapter contributor to Lee McGregor’s book – Synopsis Surgical Anatomy
- Ten years’ experience in Zweymueller Uncemented Hips published by VerleyHaus Huber – 1990.
- The indications for internal fixation in metastatic bone disease – a new scoring system. This system is now used internationally and is known as the Mirell Scoring System. (Dr Mirell was the junior author)
Dr Read also is a well-known face on the medical presentation circuit both locally and internationally. His list of well received presentations includes:
- Relationship between finger and wrist deformities in Rheumatoid Arthritis S.A. Rheumatology Congress – Pretoria
- Deformities of the wrist and finger in rheumatoid arthritis. S.A. Hand Congress – Johannesburg
- Local anaesthesia for arthroscopy of the knee. S.A. Orthopaedic Congress – Bloemfontein
- A device producing continuous passive movement of the knee and hip in post-operative management. S.A. Orthopaedic Congress – Bloemfontein. A technique of closed intra-medullary nailing of the femur with a follow up in 80 patients.
- (G O Read and P Rossouw) S.A. Orthopaedic Congress – Bloemfontein.
- The American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeon. Washington D.C
- Uncemented Hips – International invited guest speaker – Vienna.